Every year the state of Florida produces some of the very best receivers in the country. While there is talent in this year’s class most feel it is a down year for the position. ESS will break down the receiver position and give you some players who could step up and become the next stars in college.
1. Frank Ladson-South Dade-6’3-170 (Committed to Clemson) : Ladson is the top rated receiver in the state of Florida. He gives you a receiver with the size, speed and athletic ability you are looking for in an elite athlete. His body control is unmatched.
2. John Dunmore-Chaminade-6’3-180: Dunmore has great ball skills. You watch him on film and he attacks the football while it is in the air. He has the ability to go up and get the football. The only question regarding Dunmore on the field is his lack of top end speed.
3. Jeremiah Payton-Fletcher-6’2-190 – (Committed to Miami): If Ladson and Dunmore are ranked 1-2, Payton is right there at #3 in Florida. He has the size (6’2) and above average speed (4.5). He gives you a receiver with great length. He can climb the latter and go up and get the football. Payton displays very good hands when you watch him play.
4. Maurice Goolsby-Dunnellon-6’5-200-(Committed to FSU): Goolsby has been on the radar since his freshman season. He may eventually outgrow the receiver position and end up as a tight end. When you get Goolsby in the red-zone, run him on a fade route and let him go up and get the football. He has very good timing on jump balls.
5. Jamarkis Weston-Clewiston-6’4-190 (Committed to UF): Weston is a player that will really grow on you. He is a big, tough, physical player no matter if he plays on offense or defense. He is a guy that you can ask him to block the edge and your back may pick up a long gain. He is a very good receiver but put him on defense and you may have a big time safety prospect on your hands.
6. Isaiah Washington-Trinity Christian-6’3-175: Washington provides your offense with a big target. You can line him up wide and it is a battle that Washington will usually win. He is a big, physical receiver who is only going to get better in time.
7. Breion Fuller-Doral Academy-6’1-170: Fuller was another prospect that blew up early in his recruitment. He committed to Miami and has since backed off. He has seen his production plateau at the high school level.
8. Shamar Nash-IMG Academy-6’2-190-(Committed to Arkansas): Shamar size causes matchup problems. You would like to see him do a little better job of high pointing the football. He allows the ball to come down to him. Shamar is 6’3 and we feel that he could utilize his size more to his advantage
9. Jaquan Sheppard-Zephyrhills-6’2-175: Sheppard is a receiver that really caught our eye the first time we saw him in person. He is physically ready to play at the next level. If he can pick up the play book quickly it would not surprise us for him to see the field early in his college career.
10. Kendre Gant-Port St Joe-6’2-190: One thing that stands out about Gant is he is qualified. He is a kid that can snatch the ball out of the air. He sees the ball and just grabs it out of thin air. He is a receiver that needs to run cleaner routes. We would also like to see him have a little better top end speed.
11. Rashean Lynn-Cocoa-6’3-190: Lynn is a very good athlete. He will end up playing on both sides of the football this year for Cocoa. Like with most Cocoa players he gives you everything he has on the football field. He is a physical player who will try and knock a defensive back on his back.
12. Demarcus Harris-Vero Beach-6’2-170: Vero Beach continues to put out some very good receivers. Harris has the size and speed to make defensive coordinators take notice. He has the type of speed to flip a field quickly.
13. Matt Drayton-Jacksonville Raines-6’1-190: Matt is a guy that is going to help move the chains. He is a receiver that you can count on third down. He can line up on the outside or play in the slot. He is the type of player who can catch a five yard hitch and turn it into a big play.
14. Juriel Caldwell-Robert E. Lee-6’0-180: Caldwell is a prospect that will continue to fly under the radar. He is an elusive play maker. You would like to see him have a little more top end speed
15. Wayne Dennis-Armwood-6’4-190-(Committed to Northwestern): Dennis replaces one of the top receivers in Florida last year. He is another big (6’4) receiver for Armwood. He can line up inside or out. He has the ability to go up and get the football. He gives your quarterback a big target to throw the football to. He runs well after the catch.
16. Tyler March-American Heritage Plantation-6’2-175: March played on a team loaded with talent last year. He has had to wait his turn. We like how he high points the football. He will go up and attack the ball with his hands.
17. Ezeriah Anderson-Armwood-6’4-200: Anderson gives you a big body at receiver. He can go across the middle of the field and catch crossing routes. He can stretch the field and go deep. He has the ability to catch fade routes. He is also very effective on third down and inside the red-zone.
18. Ronald FanFan-North Miami-6’2-175: Here is a kid that has the size and athletic ability to play receiver at a high level. He is raw but the physical attributes are evident in person. He should continue to draw D1 interest throughout the fall.
19. Travis Isaac-West Port-6’2-175: Isaac just received his first offer from Liberty University. He plays in a part of Florida that gets overlooked. He has good size and above average speed for a receiver.
20. Malik Tolbert-Wekiva-6’1-170: Tolbert is part of a football team that could compete for a state title in 2018. They are loaded on both sides of the football. Tolbert just gives them another weapon on either side of the football.
Others to keep an eye out for….
• Darrell Harding-West Orange-6’4-190
• Jovon Smith-Killian-6’1-190
• Kinglsey Grissett-Western High School-6’3-170
• Chris Scruggs-Superior Collegiate Academy-6’2-175
• Nyre Hardy-St John Neumann-6’4-180
• Matthew Akuchie-Saint Thomas-6’4-190
• Christian Nelloms-Delray Atlantic-6’2-180
• Kris Mitchell-Mandarin-6’1-170
• Eyin Cole-Defuniak Springs-6’2-190
• Kerrick Teamer-Pensacola Catholic-6’4-215
• Khymani Martin-Archbishop McCarthy-6’2-180 (Committed to BYU)
• JaVontae Williams-Glades Central-6’2-160
• Javon Gantt-Westside-6’2-210