When it comes to producing top rank quarterbacks the state of Florida usually gets overlooked. This year Florida has some pretty good players at the quarterback position. Carter Bradley will most likely end up going into the season as the number 1 ranked quarterback in Florida but players like Sitkowski, Milton, Gatewood and Penix are breathing down his neck.
1-Carter Bradley-Providence High School-6’3-195-Bradley comes from a football family. He has all the physical tools from size, arm strength to athletic ability. He is a kid who we could see develop into a big time quarterback like Blake Borttles did once in college.
2-Arthur Sitkowski-IMG Academy-6’4-210-(Committed to Miami)-When you want to look at a quarterback with a big arm look no further than Sitkowski. There is not a throw this kid can’t make. He has a very good arm. We feel that once Arthur gets his accuracy under control his overall game should go to another level. He has the tools to play after college.
3-Joe Milton-Olympia-6’5-225-(Committed to Michigan) When you meet Milton the first thing that comes to mind is defensive end. He is the biggest quarterback in this year’s class. He has a great arm but needs to continue to improve his consistency throwing the football. His footwork is also a work in progress. The physical tools are there for him to become an elite quarterback.
4-Joey Gatewood-Bartram Trail-6’5-235-(Committed to Auburn) as a freshman many felt Gatewood could be the number one quarterback in his class. His career as a high school quarterback sort of plateaued. He has ideal size to play the position. He also has a good arm. His athletic ability is also very impressive. It would not shock us to see him play another position in college and excel.
5-Michael Penix Jr-Tampa Bay Tech-6’2-175-(Committed to Tennessee); Penix reminds me of Brent Schaffer. He also signed with Tennessee. Penix has a lively arm and can make most of the throws asked of him. He is also a very good athlete and can beat a defense with his legs.
6-Jordan Travis-The Benjamin School-6’1-190-(Committed to Louisville): Travis is a quarterback that could end up seeing his stock rise. He has a good arm and can push the ball down the field. Two things that may hold him back are his size and the level of competition he faces.
7-Riley Smith-Bartram Trail-6’4-195-Smith shares time at Bartram Trail with Gatewood. It is not often that one team has two potential P5 quarterbacks. Smith is not the athlete that Gatewood is. He does have a good arm. We would like to see more consistency from Smith. That should come at the next level where he will not have to share playing time.
8-Devin Black-Armwood-6’2-160-Black is a prospect that caught our eye once again this spring. He has a better than average arm. He also has improved his accuracy over the past year. He is a quarterback that will need to go to the right system to have success in college.
9-Bryce Carpenter-Venice-6’1-200-(Committed to Coastal Carolina)-Carpenter is a prospect that we first saw a little over two years ago. He is a very good quarterback and will be on a team that will pass the football. He is a guy who will do well in a spread offense. He is best on passes in the mid-range area. He is a good enough runner to design some plays for him.
10-Wyatt Rector-Leesburg-6’4-220-(Committed to Virginia)-Rector is a prospect that is more of a pro style quarterback. He has a big arm and can make most of the throws. He is not a guy who you are going to run the ball with. He can make some plays with his legs but that is not what we would call strength of his game.
Players to look out for….
- Chatarius Atwell-Miami Northwestern-5’9-150-(Committed to FAU)- Reminds us of Roscoe Parrish. Here is a kid who is magic with the ball under his arm.
- Isaiah Bellamy-Largo High School-6’5-220-Bellamy is a prospect that could end up at tight end or defensive end in college. You can’t teach his size or speed so there should be plenty of suitors who come his way.
- Kevaris Thomas-Lakeland-6’3-230- Thomas may end up a player who has his hands in the dirt at the next level. He looks like a defensive lineman and not a quarterback.
- Cam Smith-American Heritage Plantation-6’3-190-Smith will play for a team that should showcase his talents in 2017. Smith is a very good athlete. If he can develop as a passer, Smith will end up seeing his stock rise. S
Best of the rest….
- Zach Annexstad-IMG Academy-6’2-200
- Tate Whatley-Lakeland Christian-6’1-190
- Arthur Brantley-Riverviews-6’2-170-(Committed to Georgia Southern)
- Jacquez Carter-Palmetto Ridge-6’1-170
- Beau Fillichio-Saint Thomas-6’1-190
- Hector Vargas-Miami Killian-6’1-190
- Josiah Johnson-Jacksonville Bolles-6’4-200
- Alex Mineo-Glades Day-6’1-165
- George Bubrick-University School-6’2-170
- Kaden Frost-Gulf Coast-6’2-190
- Harrison Story-Western High School-6’2-190